Hi Pretty Kitties! Marlena here. So back when Jessi and I were in college, we didn’t have the refreshing luxury of air conditioning. I remember one summer when Jessi was living in Iowa City, our roommate Mindy and I spent our super hot August days either sitting in our weird, dingy basement with a 30 pack of high life or going to the movies where it’s always cold, no matter the season. During those sweaty times it’s also nice to wear as little clothing as possible, and that’s where the strapless dress comes parading in! Jessi and I have rounded up some lovely little numbers just for you. Stay cool out there!
1. Mint! Enough said.
Mint Cute Dress :: Modcloth
2. The cut and pattern are to die for!
Sparkle & Fade Lattice Waist Strapless Dress :: Urban Outfitters
3. This is part of their Archival Collection. So glad they brought it back!
Striped Dress :: Anthropologie
4. You know we can’t resist bows.
Cute the Breeze Strapless Dress :: Lulu’s
5. Perfect for the classy broad.
Backstage Jitters Dress :: Modcloth
6. Those buttons! That fun color! We’re in.
First Classy Dress :: Modcloth
7. Loving the subtle triangle pattern. So dainty!
Stained Glass Strapless Dress :: Urban Outfitters
8. This color blocking is the purrrrfect way to round out the end of summer.
Striped Strapless Flare Dress :: Loft
9. Super cute and custom made for you!
Polka dot strapless dress :: Bourgebride via Etsy
10. Love this pattern!
Summer in Barlette Maxi Dress :: Ruche
It’s time for our monthly style-up and this June it just makes sense we’re both gravitating towards oranges and reds with the heat, right? We’re also loving the geometric trend, from a cute shapely dress (I went there) from Modcloth to cut-out oxfords from Urban.
1. These earrings are perfect to dress up any outfit.
Finchittida Cut-Out Earrings :: ASOS
2. I love this flattering pattern and it’s such a nice, cool dress for the heat.
New Theory Tube Skater Dress :: Sway Chic
3. The little arrows on this belt are too cute.
Arrowcut Skinny Belt :: Madewell
4. This yellow floral bag is reminiscent of a vintage carpet bag, but way cuter than the one I used to own!
Opportunity to Pop Bag :: Modcloth
5. See: the cut-out squares will keep your feet nice and cool despite not wearing sandals. Right?
Cooperative Lattice Lace-up Flat :: Urban Outfitters
1. Yes, I know it’s summer, but you never know when a summer thunderstorm will hit. OR use this beauty to shield yourself from the blistering sun.
When It Rains It Paws Umbrella :: Modcloth
2. This geometric darling caught my eye instantly and I have to admit I already snagged it from Modcloth! And believe me, it’s just as cute in person.
Summertime Spirit Dress :: Modcloth
3. If I had a billion extra dollars to spend I’d drop some money on this bracelet real quick!
BoyNCY Thorn Cuff Bracelet :: Urban Outfitters
4. I’m a sucker for a brown bag, and the gold trim really sets this apart from the rest!
Tan Gold Rim Saddle Bag :: A|Wear
5. I saw these puppies on a lovely lady in downtown Des Moines and was inspired to look them up online. Very classic and practical for summer!
Charla Black Wedges :: Zappos
Hope your weekend is a blast!
Our Favorites series this week is all about adorning your head. Whether it’s the perfect sun hat or a special little jeweled clip, we have our top ten picks for the season!
Totally adorable to wear to a summer wedding! (Wanna make your own? Check out our Floral Headpiece DIY!)
1. Take Me to the Trellis Headband :: Modcloth
Pin your bangs back during a bike ride with this cute head wrap.
2. Chevron Headwrap :: Raydiant Apparel via Etsy
Be the belle of the beach in this giant sun hat!
3. Multi-color Summer Floppy Hat :: American Apparel
Hide your face from the sun during a picnic or leisurely walk.
4. San Diego Hat Company Sun Hat :: Urban Outfitters
Get your Minnie Mouse on with these cuties!
5. Polka Dot Hair Clips :: Forever 21
Dazzle at a party with this 20s-inspired headband.
6. Feather Your Cap Headband
Time to snazzy up your bun or ponytail with these cute patterned ties.
7. Bun Wire Ties
:: Free People
Love this bold color!
8. Echo Braided Floppy Hat :: Asos
This crazy pattern is sublime.
9. Cult Gaia Munchies Headwrap :: Urban Outfitters
A darling bejeweled bobby pin to add some flare.
10. Crystal Crush Bobbi :: Ban.do
Have a lovely week, and go put something on your head!
This week Jessi and I each picked out a fun outfit from head to toe perfect for May, a little springy and a little summery!
1. I love the cool shape and the pretty neutral color.
Loud and Clear Shades :: Nasty Gal
2. This button down is effortless, comfy, and pretty.
Floral Minuet Button-up :: Ruche
3. Faux suede and studs add that little bit of edge. And they are under $4!
Studded Bow Hairpins :: Forever 21
4. I’m loving all things high-waisted, and tucking that button down in these cute shorts would show off the darling buttons.
BDG High-rise Sailor Short :: Urban Outfitters
5. Love this cute little arrow/chevron ring. And again, it’s under $4!
Cutout Arrow Ring :: Forever 21
6. I love the color and how architectural this bag is.
Tailored Tara Purse :: Tailor & Stylist
7. This striped wedge would go with about a million things in my closet!
Seaside Snack Wedge :: Modcloth
1. This striped beauty will keep the sun off your face and you’ll look cute to boot!
Wide Brimmed Paper Floppy Hat :: French Collection
2. Top off your summer look with some shades that’ll make your outfit all American for the best summer ever!
Polka Dot Nerd Sunglasses with Bow :: SugarRush Collections via Etsy
3. I don’t wear much white but this dress is tooooo cute to say no to!
Cooperative Scalloped Peplum Dress :: Urban Outfitters
4. Who doesn’t love a bow belt?
Red-Orange Adorable Bow Belt :: Pree Brulee
5. This vintage bag is so versatile and pretty!
Woven Leather Bag :: Factory Handbook via Etsy
6. If it’s not too too hot out I love to rock some boots with a dress, skirt or shorts. And these are perforated which makes them perfect!
Knock at the Door Boots :: Seychelles Footwear
Have a great week pretty kitties!
Bare legs! They may be as white as a vanilla sundae but I don’t care! I just got this dress at Target and I must say it’s so purrrrfect I’ve already worn it three times and I just got it last week. The color is what really sold me; it’s my favorite! I also love the fullness of the skirt, the cute length, and the fact that I can wear it to work but also all weekend. I also picked up this belt recently at Target, and I must say it’s simply lovely. Are you feeling stripes? Flowers? I couldn’t decide so I twisted it in the back so I could show both. I have a feeling this belt is going to become a staple.
We visited my mother-in-law this past weekend, and it was fun, relaxing, and very outdoorsy. I of course wore this dress and even got a little sunburned! These legs may have a chance after all.
Outfit details: Flower headband :: DIY | Earrings :: Francesca’s | Necklace :: Gift from grandmother | Bow bracelet :: Kintage | Purple bracelet :: Gift from husband, Marc by Marc Jacobs | Dress :: Target | Denim jacket :: Target | Belt :: Target | Flats :: Charlotte Russe (similar)
Have a happy week!
April is the beloved month of Rex Manning Day! Even though it’s officially April 8th, we’re still celebrating. This past weekend we headed to one of our favorite local bars (the Mews) for a celebration of Rex Manning Day, featuring bands covering the 90s (including Jessi’s beau!). So FUN! Highlights of our night included the Saved By the Bell theme song, Bryan Adams’ “(Everything I Do) I Do It For You” and Jessi rapping Salt N’ Peppa.
Anyway, we had Empire Records on the brain and were inspired to come up with some new picks themed around the movie. Enjoy!
1. This black cat tank has the perfect record store vibe. Metal cat muscle tee :: Forever 21
2. Shock me shock me shock me with these purple boots! Steve Madden Troopa Boots :: Zappos
3. Go ahead, try and seduce Sexy Rexy like Corey tried to in this little red number. ASOS Boudoir Mesh Trim Bra :: ASOS
4. Deb approved. BDG Embellished Utility Vest :: Urban Outfitters
5. This high-low skirt has the perfect amount of sex appeal. Floral Lace High Low Skirt :: Forever 21
6. A pill box to keep your stash of speed, of course! Vintage Pill Box Holder :: Rose Petal Resources via Etsy
7. It just wouldn’t be a day at the Empire without a plaid short skirt. 90s High-waisted Plaid Skirt :: Musky Mink via Etsy
8. Pleated skirts are a must! Pins and Needles Box Pleat Skirt :: Urban Outfitters
9. A bit rocker and a bit feminine: so Corey! Gypsy Junkies Liberty Neon Sequin Shorts :: Lulu’s
10. Crop tops are back and they are a perfect way to show your inner record store girl. Influence Stone Honeycomb Knit Crop Jumper :: New Look
11. Complete your look with this Marc Sucks button! 1″ Empire Records Button :: Push Buttons via Etsy
Rap… metal… rap… metal… and Whitney Houston,
One thing I love: stripes! One thing I hate: wind! I’m not talking about hating on a nice summer breeze, but it can get quite windy in these parts and ruin a perfectly pleasant day. Who wants to take a picnic while you watch your napkins go a-flying and your blanket struggles to stay on the ground? Good for flying a kite? Yes. Good for photo shoots, not so much. It was windy this day, and you can tell from my photos I was less than amused. But the sun was shining at least, so I threw on this striped dress and headed out to brave the elements (I’m being dramatic here- I just really do hate the wind!)
I have many black and white striped articles of clothing which all serve a different purpose. I especially love this one though. Horizontal stripes on the front, chevron stripes on the back. Genius! It’s stretchy but not too clingy, and long sleeved to boot. It’s really quite purrrfect.
I’m not even gonna go on about how I love this denim jacket, but take note pretty kitties, yes it’s new, and yes, I do love it! The color, the detailed stitching on the arms. And I’m done.
There’s a running theme here, but another thing I love and can’t get enough of are big ole sunglasses. I have so many pairs thanks to forever21- what can I say, they’re cheap! And I tend to lose and break sunglasses easily, so I try to not invest too much in them. These here were a tad costlier, but not by much, and they’re quite different from any others I own. Score!
Off I go now to catch up on Veronica Mars. Boyfriend and I are watching the series again to celebrate the Veronica Mars Movie… I’m so excited! And soon the weather will be nice enough I won’t be able to justify sitting inside all day watching tv. What a hard life I lead.
Outfit details :: sunnies :: Sosie | jacket :: Forever21 | dress :: Urban Outfitters | wedges :: Target
I have to say Easter is probably one of my favorite holidays for two reasons: Pastels and Easter Candy! It seems like every year the Easter candy arrives earlier and earlier in stores and once I see it I can’t help but stock up. I always make sure to buy extra because I just love it and want to eat it year round. My favorites are Cadbury eggs- I know many adults think Cadbury eggs are gross but I never outgrew them. Egg shapes, bunny shapes, yum yum yum!
This dress to me to quintessentially spring- the colors and the shape and the pattern make me feel fresh, bright and lovely! Because it’s not QUITE warm enough yet I pulled the skinniest jeans I could find out of my closet to throw under the dress. I’ve been wearing tights and leggings for months now and just want to set my legs free! This dress was a very late Christmas present and I’ve been excited to wear it sans sweater to show off the cut out back. I can definitely envision myself wearing this dress all throughout the summer and it’ll be perfect to rock at a music festival.
Marlena gave me this AMAZING necklace for my birthday last year. It’s an old watch that she made into a locket and it’s the most darling accessory that I own. It’s fun when I open the necklace for people and inside are my cute furry babies. Cats! Surprise!
The ribbon in my hair also accompanied my birthday gift from Marlena. I love my birthday and I love presents and will take advantage and use what’s given to me, including the packaging!! Speaking of birthdays, April is birthday month for me, and I have to say I am pretty excited to be turning 30…!
Outfit details: Dress :: Modcloth | Jeans : Urban Outfitters (similar) | Shoes : Urban Outfitters | Locket :: gift from Marlena
So I have to take a minute and gush about this dress. When I bought it at Hill Vintage, the lovely Marion asked if I’d like it shortened. “Because we were going to shorten it anyway, and sometimes you want to shorten it and you never get around to it, or you just cut it but don’t hem it, and then it ravels.” NAILED IT. I’ve moaned in the past about my inability (read: laziness) to shorten dresses and Marion went above and beyond for this little dress: Not only did she shorten the hem but she also added buttons to the top, made the clasp in the back much sturdier, and also cut the sleeves to a less-dowdy length and uhhh hello she did it for FREE! Local Des Moines ladies: get thee to Hill Vintage and you’ll find that most of the dresses have already been shortened and sewn for the better, but if you happen upon one that hasn’t been, just ask! They are super friendly about it and do a great job.
Okay, gush over. Today was a bright and sunny day and I was dancing in circles chanting, “No coat! No coat! No coat!” Spring fever is here people, and I predict my newly found energy will go into feverishly swinging my 17-month-old Charlie around the park, painting our kitchen, and making large batches of deviled eggs.
Remember that horse dress I wore in last week’s post? Well it came with a belt that I cut off and I love it mixed with the little tiny bow prints on this dress. In other news, how do you like the multi-cinched pony? I saw it over on Jane Says blog in a ponytail gallery. I’m digging it; it feels a little paper lantern and a lot 1987.
I hope everyone had a delightful Easter! Now that we tote around a toddler, Easter is a little more happening: think Easter egg hunts, baskets full of goldfish crackers and cute little pinstripe suits. Much more entertaining than in previous years!
Outfit details: heart earrings :: forever 21 | dress :: hill vintage | cardigan :: gift from Jessi | tights :: target | shoes :: house of vintage
p.s. A fun DIY is heading this way soonish, plus Jessi’s outfit of the week includes a fabulous dress plus a cute kitty cat accessory!
We’ve all been waiting years for the Veronica Mars movie and it seemed it would never happen. Until now. Not sure about you, but here at Here Pretty Kitty we are super psyched to revisit Neptune, California! Here are our picks to find your inner detective, Veronica-style:
1. This cute hat is so Veronica! :: Brixton
2. Veronica never leaves home without a camera for late night stake-outs. This “Neptune Green” Diana camera is cute, and very appropriately named! :: Lomography.com
3. Solving one mystery after another she is seldom found without a trusty bag :: Modcloth
4. Perfect for a date night with Logan, perhaps? :: Modcloth
5. A functional yet edgy jacket is a staple for the super sleuth! :: H&M
6. She needs something cute yet sturdy to run around, kicking ass. :: Urban Outfitters
Happy Monday! J&M